Thursday, January 16

Hospital D


Went up the pantry to get some coffee when I suddenly felt my thighs aching. Must've been the squats I did yesterday. Nothing that a few stretches can't fix. Went back down to my workstation, felt really tired. Head's now aching, felt like a giant clamp was squeezing a quarter of my face - from my right eye up. Had to drag myself home. Was feeling really weak.

Got home and complained of a really bad headache. It was the first time I felt that bad. Took some paracetamol. Headache's now coupled with fever. Someone at home went out to buy a thermometer. Can't remember the last time I had to use one to get my temp. The stick beeped, it was a 39. Was exchanging messages with doc; told me that it could be dengue.

It was a miracle I was able to sleep. That headache was the worst I've had ever.


Tatay accompanied me to the ER. Awesome, not a lot of people! A nurse took my vitals, asked me to fill out some forms and wait. Was called into a cubicle. The doctor ordered tests: blood, x-ray, urinalysis. Was asked to get some breakfast before I could be given meds for the fever.

Went around the hospital for the labs. Bought some food at the lobby coffee shop while Tatay bought some Gatorade at the nearby drugstore. Hardly ate. Felt like throwing up. Was really weak and really cold, I had to stand by the stretcher just outside the ER. Doctor's shift ended, was endorsed to another one.

Called back into the cubicle. Was a foot away from the chair when I saw the note on the lab results. Yep, it was dengue.

Good news, my platelets are within the normal range. Was advised to hydrate, take paracetamol, and watch out for bleeding. No dark colored food.

Went home to break the news. I. Can. Not. Eat.

Went back to my bed, still feeling worst than I've ever felt. Seriously, I felt like dying.

Nanay chopped up some apples. Juiced two carrots. An hour or so later, threw up that forced lunch. We needed to go back to the hospital. Throwing up was a sign.

Back at the ER, another round of blood work. My platelet count was still normal. Discharged.


Had another round of blood work first thing in the morning. Still normal... and still cannot eat.


My arm's got a handful of needle holes. Hmmm... my platelet count went slightly up.


Went back to the ER to get my platelet count. Was not discharged. Substantial drop. Had to be admitted.

Was on a stretcher, about lunch time, first IV ever. It wasn't as bad as I imagined... but it was a little itchy.

ER people went noticeably conscious. A lady doctor with some residents - yep, cute residents. lol - came in; trajectory: my bed.

Lady doc looked up my chart, ordered an ab ultrasound, and pressed around my tummy.

Even if I'm sick, I don't like the attention of being taken care of. But when the wheelchair arrived for my trip to the radiology unit, I was too weak to protest. Sonogram done. And now we wait again at the ER. About 30 minutes lapsed, room was finally free. Wheeled up for my first hospital stay.

It was gloomy outside. My parents went back home to get some supplies. I was alone in my room watching cars drive by.


My arm was getting spotty from all the needles that pricked me at around 4:30 in the morning. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks came at predictable times. Oh and sheets were replaced at around 8am. I remember sitting down near the door as Nanay watched KrisTV.

Nurses and doctors would come in, get my vitals, give me meds. It was a routine save for this lady resident waking me up at around 1am just to poke me around with her steth. And there was this nurse who aside from getting my temp and bp, also took my pulse rate and wrote down his name on the white board across the bed. Found out from a friend who used to work in the hospital that said nurse asked him to introduce us. I still look pretty even if I'm dying and unwashed. Lol.

And thanks to friends who dropped by. There were just too many fruits, I had to share them with the nursing staff.


Blood results came in. Platelet count was up after dropping the past few days. The lady doctor - who I later found out was quite an institution in her field - told me that she's discharging me. That was most welcome. My IV hand was already swollen and was itching like crazy.

Asked Tatay to buy a cake for the nursing staff. Nanay cleared the bill: around P200 for my morning vitamins. Thank God for healthcards!

Was wheeled down to the lobby, my eyes peeking out the stack of pillows on top of me, and was wheeled back home.

Still felt really weak. At least now without fever. And without that terrifyingly bad headache.


I am in class doing a presentation due last week. All's well... and I am grateful.


I always fancied getting admitted and throwing a party in my hospital room. Far from what I imagined, I was too weak to entertain guests. Nonetheless, your presence was most appreciated, friends.

From that whole episode - staying in the hospital, getting by with just IV and paracetamol while feeling that weak and sick for the first time ever! - I can't help but believe that my getting well was a miracle. My illness had no cure and the anointed time for my healing was set by no one but God.

And it's official, I love sinigang. That was my only saving grace because I had zero appetite for everything else. Lol


  1. hey good for you, only took you more than a week! good job your recovered fast! i had measles and was on house arrest for almost 3 weeks huhu. the fever was just awful. I'm about to get back to working next week though i'm still not in tip top shape..i mean i'm no longer contagious but i still feel some weakness in my legs and in my eyes. can't let it get to me too much though. anyhow we really need to take care of our health this year whew!

  2. Congratulations on overcoming dengue :)

  3. Always take your self :)

    I'm foloower # 143.. Please follow me here

  4. @marshee: i can so relate with the legs feeling weak. hehe. good that you're ok na!

    @rei: thank you! :)

    @akira: take care too!

  5. Pengen yang lebih seru ...
    Ayo kunjungi
    Buktikan sendiri ..

    Real Play = Real Money

    - Bonus Promo Red Card pertandingan manapun .
    - Bonus Mixparlay .
    - Bonus Tangkasnet setiap hari .
    - New Produk Sabung Ayam ( minimal bet sangat ringan ) .
    - Referal 5 + 1 % ( seumur hidup ) .
    - Cash Back up to 10 % .
    - Bonus Royalty Rewards setiap bulan .

    untuk Informasi lebih jelasnya silahkan hubungi CS kami :
    - YM :
    - EMAIL :
    - WHATSAPP : +63 905 213 7234
    - WECHAT : asianbet_77
    - SMS CENTER : +63 905 209 8162
    - PIN BB : 2B4BB06A / 28339A41

    Salam Admin ,